The architectural plan for the shrine was designed to meet the following requirements:
• A main church that would accommodate about 800 people;
• A crypt chapel to accommodate about 100 people
• The baptismal font should have a prominent place inside the church
• Have a confessional area, a conference hall, and a shrine office.
• The area surrounding the shrine should have a large car park, with plenty of greenery;
• And that all this be done with plenty of African concept.
The last requirement was a real challenge for the architects and the artists, to integrate meaningfully African aesthetic values with Christian belief and practice.
The end results is the Shrine, which reiterates that Christ and His mother could be quite at home in the African culture.